This concert’s opener is a musical tour through the folk traditions Bartok studied — full of life and complex rhythm.
Barber’s virtuosic concerto follows, combining lush Romantic lyricism and angular “modern” energy, with a brilliant ending that is a notorious test of the violinist’s skill.
The second half brings Tchaikovsky’s magnificent symphony, with its unparalleled mastery of all the orchestra’s voices — famously played through without a pause in WWII Leningrad during a ferocious bombing attack.
Conductor: John Nelson
Featured: Robin Mayforth, Violin
- Béla Bartók: Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56, BB 68
- Samuel Barber: Violin Concerto, Op. 14
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64
- Sat., March 2, 2019 @ 8pm
- Sun., March 3, 2019 @ 2:30pm