In his youth, Richard Wagner created his fastest moving and perhaps his most effective score.
The Flying Dutchman is an ideal introduction to Wagner. It’s the easiest to listen to, and it has real melodies that convey the ancient legend of the immortal Dutchman.
As the legend goes, a ship’s captain is cursed to live until he can find someone who will love him until death. On this unique day he meets Senta, who has been obsessed with his legend from childhood. However, in the legend, she must die to free him from eternal life on earth, which has become a living hell. It is a brilliant story with one of the most compelling roles in all of opera.
Sung in German with English supertitles.
- Sat., February 10, 2018 @ 8pm
- Sun., February 11, 2018 @ 3pm
- Thurs., February 15, 2018 @ 8pm
- Sun., February 18, 2018 @ 3pm
- Fri., February 23, 2018 @ 8pm
- Sun., February 25, 2018 @ 3pm